Tuesday, July 1, 2008

If I want modest clothing for my daughter, I'll just make it myself!

Well, after shopping and scouring the internet, I've gotten quite disgusted with the clothes available for little girls. My daughter is five, I mean really, she's 5. She's not trying to look 25 or even 15 (don't get me started on that, either). But, she's 5. It seems like we keep going from extreme to extreme. It's either trashy and inappropriate or it's trashy and cheap. I can't stand the hip huggers, the cropped tops, the barely there necklines and shoulders, the whispy, see-through or not even there midriffs. The mini-skirts that can't even cover when she's picking something up or the oh-so-tight shorts and jeans. Don't start on the sayings (it should be illegal for a little girl to wear anything that proclaims her a hottie or anything similar). There's no modesty and very little of anything else. So, with 30 years of sewing experience behind me and off and on years of making things for other people's daughters, I'm dusting off my serger and getting busy. I've designed about 12 outfits for her and I'm just going to get busy working on them. Last year, I made several little shift dresses and scarves for summer, but nothing really major. Now, I think it's time to get serious and just do it myself. I mean, why am I paying someone else to make her clothes that I like, when I am more than capable of making tailored, finished clothing for her myself? Well, time was one thing. Another was money. It's so much cheaper sometimes to just buy it made up already. I have found some very pretty dresses for her that way. But, I can't stand the everyday clothing (which we don't buy), but which is all that's available. So, I am starting work on a basic wardrobe (tops, capris, shorts, skirts and dresses) which are modest and fashionable and fully lined and made to last and all. She's already gotten very excited just going through my stash of fabrics, and this weekend we're going to the lfs (local fabric store) to look for coordinating (not matchy-matchy) fabrics to build on. That way, I can add fall pieces as needed right into winter. No more worrying about finding tacky, immodest clothing. No more worrying about them falling apart or fading after 2-3 wearings.

Can you tell I'm on a rant?? Well, between embroidering, knitting, sewing, appliquéing and embellishing, I'm hopefully going to be very busy and she's going to be very happy. I'll post updates and pictures as I get stuff done. Who knows, maybe I'm not the only one wanting pretty, modest clothing for my daughter. Now, if only I could add cobblering to my resume and make shoes that don't try to look like high-heels - UGH!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I SOOO agree with you. When my daughter was 4 she started soccer, so I needed to find black soccer shorts in March. Not an easy task cheaply. Finally found ONE pair that was long enough for my taste at Meijer. When I tossed them in the cart, the bottom said "Flirt". These were size 4 for crying out loud. If you haven't followed Vicki Courtney, her ministry is very heavily into this. I loved "My Girl" on raising Godly girls. Good luck. I've been wanting to try my hand at making somethings for my kiddos too.

    Lisa French

    ReplyDelete